Lubumbashi is the second largest city in the Democratic Republic of Congo with a population of 1.2 million people. It was founded by the Belgians in 1908 and found independence in 1960.
Democratic Republic of Congo:
Median Age: total: 16.3 years, male: 16.1 years, female: 16.5 years (2008 est.)
- Population: 66,514,504
- Climate: tropical; hot and humid in equatorial river basin; cooler and drier in southern highlands; cooler and wetter in eastern highlands; north of Equator - wet season (April to October), dry season (December to February); south of Equator - wet season (November to March), dry season (April to October)
- Languages: French (official), Lingala (a lingua franca trade language), Kingwana (a dialect of Kiswahili or Swahili), Kikongo, Tshiluba
- Age Structure: 0-14 years: 47.1% (male 15,711,817/female 15,594,449)
15-64 years: 50.4% (male 16,672,399/female 16,875,468)
65 years and over: 2.5% (male 674,766/female 985,607) (2008 est.)
- Natural Resources: cobalt, copper, niobium, tantalum, petroleum, industrial and gem diamonds, gold, silver, zinc, manganese, tin, uranium, coal, hydropower, timber
- HIV/AIDS People Living with HIV/AIDS: 1.1 million (2003 est.)
- Agriculture: coffee, sugar, palm oil, rubber, tea, quinine, cassava (tapioca), palm oil, bananas, root crops, corn, fruits; wood products
- Industries: mining (diamonds, gold, copper, cobalt, coltan zinc), mineral processing, consumer products (including textiles, footwear, cigarettes, processed foods and beverages), cement, commercial ship repair
- National Development Ranking: According to the United Nations Development Index, the Democratic Republic of Congo ranks 187th out of 187 in development which includes, health, infrastructure and education.
- Average Income: The average Congolese will earn approximately $280 per year.